Computer operator job description: When someone is desire to join any organization as a computer operator he/she would be responsible for the technical operation as well as medium and large mid range computer system operations. The role of a computer operator in company is very crucial and will be required to possess all the operational knowledge and terminology (viz. Personal computing applications including MS Word,MS Excel, Accounting software and others; Apple Macintosh and Windows/DOS operating systems; modern computer techniques, methodologies and practices) of the processing requirements and handling the system efficiently and giving others commands for all application software systems.
Related Post: Computer Operator Interview Questions and Answers
Computer Operator Job Description Sample
Duties and Responsibilities of Computer Operator
- The very first responsibility of a computer operator is leading, guiding, and /or coordinating others (staff members); and operating within a pre-defined time and budget and utilization of resources to make the environment of company easier from top to down.
- Monitor and manage the operations of all host computer systems and Hardware and as well as peripheral devices.
- Troubleshooting Hardware Devices (means Proficient in troubleshooting techniques) and Software Processes.
- Computer operator must work closely with data entry operators and help desk staff to coordinate strongly giving company an accurate and timely computer processing cycles.
- A company data is safe and secure if the computer operator is Assisting in providing for the security and confidentiality of the data maintained by Information Services.
- Computer operator should also Maintain a detailed understanding of the job processing requirements and data flow for all applications systems.
- A Computer operator should also configure the softwares of all the computer systems and should have a sound knowledge of them.
- Computer operator should exercise its activities regarding the applicable shift processing activities and related end-user activity and ensuring a balanced and effective system’s operating environment.
- A Company is secure if it is well maintain by the Computer operator for effective systems backup schedule time to time to overcome future problems. (if it occurs)
- Computer operator should Maintain and manage computer processing logs and documents and assisting in the maintenance of all run and procedures manuals for computer operations.
- Computer operator is responsible for performing decollating and bursting operations of all reports and forms.
- Computer operator has to Work with programmers and systems analysts as required in coordinating the systems testing environment on the development system and also has to Work with programmers and systems analysts in problem determination for processing errors and the resolution of them.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of systems commands, subsystem
- configurations, and job control.
- Computer operator has to closely monitor billing and financial systems as well.
- Computer operator play a important role between understanding of the data communications configurations on all host and remote systems and helping them in the resolution of end-user communication failures.
- Computer operator Provides a ongoing computer center security and access procedures,maintaining related logs and records to the company’s safety.
Skills Required for Computer Operator Job profile
Computer operator’s skills are multiple and all of it, he/she has to perform in defined period of time. The environment of today’s industry is very competitive so a computer operator should be versatile and energetic at work to perform its tasks and duties efficiently and effectively.
- One of the most important thing for computer operator is the “Time Management ” Managing own work on time and distribute the work among the staff members so as to they can do it on time.
- Planning, managing and figure out any work time for any person is very sophisticated and on the other hand, sometimes its really easy when you have required knowledge and skills; this is what computer operator must have!
- Computer operator must be good at maintaining the accurate records and using pertinent software applications.
- Sometimes a basic thing do more than your expectation when you need it, here I mean to say knowledge of basic math, including math fractions, percentage, ratios, division etc. for anyone these small knowledge for facilitation of technical information, composing a variety of documents would be easier and quick to solve practical problems.
- Some others skills are related to the knowledge satisfactorily performance on the job as communication skills, business telephoning etiquette, clerical and customer service skills, presentation of facts, records etc.
Education Qualification of a Computer operator
A Computer operator should have a High School diploma or equivalent.
Salary of a Computer operator
A Computer operator in United States could starts its career from a median salary of $ 37750 (As per Salary.com website) and expect more as he gains experience.
We hope now you would have got an idea about what you could have write while preparing a computer operator job description. You can change or add any relevant information to the above job description of computer operator.