General Manager Job Description Sample: This is a General Manager Job Description sample that will help you in creating your job application for different vacancies available in the job market for general manager jobs.
Generally General Manager reports to the board of directors of the company & working closely with associate directors and supporting staff of the company. General Manager is person who takes responsibility for the administrative management, financial management, sales & service, supervision, public relations, profitability and marketing management of the company. General Manager involves in supervision such as develops and communicates with cooperative policies, goals and results, helping the employee team and provide solutions for day to day problems & support cooperative policies. General Manager must have a capability to improve management system of company by recruiting, selecting, training, coaching & counseling programmes. By doing this exercise a general manager brings discipline in managers and their communication skills, strategies, planning, forecasting, monitoring projects etc.
A Typical General Manager Job Description Sample
Below is a typical General Manager Job Description Sample which you can use to write your next job description for General Manager profile.
General Manager Duties and Responsibilities:
- The very first responsibility of a general manager is to perform assigned duties and responsibilities by board of directors.
- General Manager should learn company’s problems in technological, financial, service field & develop strategic planning process to encounter them.
- General Manager develops strategies and policies to achieve company’s future goals.
- GM (general manager) organizes regular staff meetings and builds an environment in which employees willingly produce maximum work.
- General Manager develops annual operating budget as well as all project budgets and oversees them.
- Producing marketing & promotion content and implement it in a planned manner to reach different class of customers.
- General Manager also responsible for developing sound relationships with stakeholders, funders and community in order to gain mutual benefits.
- General Manager plans and assigns work to subordinates and monitors them time to time.
- Plan & review marketing activities, results and expectations with employees on regular basis.
- General Manager is also responsible for preparing financial report for effective management & clearly showing operational effectiveness by his efforts.
- Supports board of directors in formulating policies and projects and making policies recommendations.
- General Manager takes part in reviewing insurance, banking, auditing and other board related aspects of the company.
General Manager Skills:
General skills: Strong communication skills, performance & proficiency management, staffing management, time management, coordination, training, financial planning and strategy management, efficient in standards development, sound in decision making and strategic management, positive approach.
- Ability to read, write and interpret documents in English.
For example: documents of safety rules, instructions about operating and maintenance of machines and procedure manuals etc.
- As per company’s prescribed format a general manager able to professionally correspond with the clients using business letters, summaries, and reports in English clearly and correctly.
- Ability to speak English fluently in front of various groups such as customers/employees.
General Manager should have strong skills in handling computers and software related to general manager job such as:
- MS office (MS word, MS excel).
- Yield Management Programmes.
- Programmes on property management such as: Property Management System(PMS).
- Programmes on revenue system such as: Daily Revenue System (DRS).
- Knowledge of Payroll softwares.
- Company issued internet browsers specially designed for general managers.
- Company issued electronic mail programs such as MS outlook.
- A General Manager should apply common sense to understand and carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or in graph/diagrammatic form.
- Good mathematical skills & know how to apply it to interpret financial information & budgets preparation.
- Ability to Read, understand & interpret different documents of business records and statistical reports of company.
General Manager Qualifications:
- As far as Qualifications of a General Manager are concern, the position requires high school diploma or (GED) general education degree / two years business degree (preferably M.B.A) or a four years business or liberal degree in arts.
- For experience candidates companies prefer combination of both education and as well as experience.
General Manager Salary:
General Manager is very responsible job and in the present business scenario; companies are offering very handsome amount of salaries to hire a smart candidate & if you desire to get this job, salary wouldn’t be a constraint for you. All you need to have good communication skills, pleasing personality & positive attitude towards your career goals. As per indeed.com, average salary of a general manager in USA is $49000.
Above is a general manager job description sample that will help you in creating your job application. You can revise this job description by adding and removing content of your choice to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.