Paralegal Job Description Sample: Paralegals are also known as legal Para-Professionals, legal executives, legal assistants, law clerks, legal researchers etc. Paralegals job description is very important for those who want to pursue their career in this field so, today on our website we’ll talk about the paralegal job description sample and try to describe all basics that you need to know when you are an interview for this job.
Paralegal job is very responsible because paralegals assist lawyers in different activities like: corporate meetings, preparations for hearings, trials and closing, investigating facts etc. Paralegal are trained in aspects of the law & legal research methods but, Paralegal training take short period of time as compare to a lawyer’s training. In most of cases, paralegals training are focused on particular specializations areas like: bankruptcy, real estate law, family law commercial law, environmental law, insurance law or other specialization.
Paralegal also helps in examine of facts, cases and then provide relevant information by which lawyers take judicial decisions, use right laws, and gives right advice on that basis to their clients. You will see many lawyers appointed paralegals to help them in their day to day work like preparing reports & collecting right information on cases, paralegals arrange necessary files in an order for easy access on time, after this paralegal creates attorneys to understand how cases should be treated or handled.
If you have sound knowledge about paralegal job profile then it will be easier for you to get this job so, here is paralegal job description which will help you to find paralegal jobs or the paralegal job would be right for you or not. Below we have given some important things that would help you to get into this profession like: paralegal duties and responsibilities, paralegal skills, paralegal education, paralegal salary and top paralegal job locations etc.
You May Like: Best Search Engines To Find Paralegal Jobs
Paralegal Duties and Responsibilities:
Following are the duties and responsibilities of a paralegal:
- This is primary and most necessary duty of a paralegal to carry out legal research; this research includes relevant status, case proceeding status, court decisions etc.
- A Paralegal is responsible for preparing declarations and complaints so as to help lawyers and makes their work easier.
- It is a another duty of a paralegal to draft legal documents such as separation agreements, mortgages, agreements of sale, trust agreements, real estate agreements etc.
- After drafting the documents; the next step is to investigation and case preparation.
- A paralegal also take interview of witness or client for collecting necessary information about the case.
- Paralegal also work as law clerk so he has to do many administrative work such as law clerk.
This is a job description for a typical paralegal; duties and responsibilities may be differ firm to firm.
Following are the various paralegal skills that are required to perform this job easily:
- A Paralegal should be good in written & spoken communication skills.
- A Paralegal should be sound knowledge about issues related to a paralegal job.
- Good knowledge of computer and excellent IT skills.
- Having good organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work alone or with a team.
- Soft spoken & politeness in attitude, at the same time concern about customer service.
- Being resourceful.
- Having quality to describe various facts in details and prepare related documents.
- Paralegal should have an ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of documents and details.
Related Post: How To Write A Paralegal Job Description
Usually, Paralegal jobs require applicants who have multi-tasking skills, knowledge of laws/legal acts and a degree from a recognize University on Paralegal Studies or a Bachelor´s Degree in the same field.
A Paralegal salary depends upon various circumstances such as nature of business, experience, location etc. As per indeed.com website, average paralegal salary is $30000 in U.S.A which is quite good and these figures are going to be increase because recently a report on paralegal salary shows there is significant hike in future. Top Paralegal job locations in U.S.A are New York, Chicago, Washington, Atlanta, Houston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Dallas etc.